17 August 2011

No More Nursing Home Blues


            I have learned to be grateful about living in a nursing home.
            When ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) forced me to look into nursing home care, I had lots of questions. From my work as a hospice chaplain in nursing homes, I knew that some were better than others. Some were terrible. A nurse with whom I worked described one as a "hellhole." This knowledge combined with my fears about going to any nursing home at all made me nervous. I visited several local nursing homes with the help of friends. My visit to Hendersonville Health and Rehabilitation was encouraging. The place was clean, bright, and had a sense of liveliness that the other facilities did not possess. I was impressed.        
            Still, I had my questions, fueled by anxiety more than anything else. I had the administrator's e-mail address and asked her my questions. We had e-mail problems and my messages did not get to her. This was frustrating to me because I had a time limit imposed by my dwindling finances. To my surprise and gratitude, the administrator, Cookie Romeo, came to see me at my home to answer my questions. She also became satisfied that her facility could provide the care I needed. I moved in not long afterward.
            I was angry when I arrived. I was angry at a disease that had taken away my ability to walk and was stealing my speech. I was angry that I had to leave my home and move into a facility where I would lose my independence and privacy. I was angry that I had a fatal illness. Underneath the anger was fear: fear of the unknown, fear of dying, fear of helplessness, and fear of losing myself. As a result, I ranted and raved at the staff when they could not understand my garbled speech. I disagreed with decisions that were made about my care, such as making me a total lift from bed to chair. If anyone made a decision for me without my involvement, even simple ones like choosing the shirt I would wear, I complained loudly. My reactions and anger were understandable, maybe even necessary at that time in my life, but I eventually realized it was time to move on to acceptance and gratitude.
            It has taken effort, prayer, and the willingness to let God work in me to change my behavior. I am making progress by thanking the staff when they help me and quickly forgiving their mistakes. My life is a lot more pleasant. And you know what? Now that I am trying harder to get along with people, they are having an easier time getting along with me! Funny how that works.
            My nursing home staff has kept me alive and helped me live well. There are moments of great tenderness, too. A couple of weeks ago, a young CNA washed my face prior to my going to bed. She was so gentle, I looked at her and smiled. She smiled back and said, "This is the way I wash my little girl's face." I am grateful to be alive and living in a nursing home.

16 comments:

  1. You are so beautiful, Tom! ;-) And you are still teaching how to live and love and love God's gift of life with even greater gratitude. Always ... thank you, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you, Tom, for seeing the silver lining that came along with your condition. I'm glad that you're happy in your nursing home. I hope you get better soon, so you can inspire more people. You are truly God's instrument, and I hope there would be a lot more people like you.


    -Frank Damon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartwarming story. It is good that you found peace in the nursery home. The staff members there will help you and make you at home. Respect them, and they will return the favor and take good care of you. Congratulations, and stay happy in your nursery home!



    @Cara Larose

    ReplyDelete

  4. Well your site is very informative and it will be equally worthwhile.Well thanks for this information it will really gonna help a lot of people. nursing homes in birmingham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Frndz...
    I will Remember your Great this Information! Nice post,it is really very helpful for me.One of the few articles I’ve read today.I’m saying thanks

    Which Nursing Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Frndz...
    Great Information! Nice post,it is really very helpful for me.One of the few articles I’ve read today.I’m saying thanks

    Which Nursing Home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tom, thanks for sharing your thoughts and being so vulnerable.

    Alicia - Dunbarton Home Care

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was an amazing experience to visit this website and read the articles and contents.

    Assisted Living Facilities Houston & Home Healthcare Services Houston

    ReplyDelete

  9. I want to give a testimony about my ALS virus that was cured by a great spell caster. I have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution to my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a ALS drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post who truly said that she was been diagnose with ALS and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell DR OHIMAL his email is: DROHIMALSPELLTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM sometime i really wonder why people cal him good names i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has don.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too. Can you suggest some of the interesting places to visit for health care: Nursing facility at home

    ReplyDelete
  11. The information in the article is in a well-detailed. You can also try Senior insight’s powerful assisted living management software tool. Explore how Care management is made simple!

    software assisted living

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. https://ecemedical.com/electric-hospital-bed/

    ReplyDelete

  13. Your blog is very good and very informative. Your blog post is very useful.
    physiotherapy at home near me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too.
    Can you suggest some of the interesting places to visit for health care: capri spine clinic

    ReplyDelete