03 October 2011

Thank You Party

  Friends and family have helped me so much over the past four-and-a-half years of my bout with ALS. When an opportunity presented itself to thank them with a party, I grabbed it. My great CNA and adoptive mother Miriam offerred to prepare the food. She did a wonderful job, as you can see.
  Around 80 people came to the party, including my friends Jill and John. Jill was a social worker with the first hospice I served as chaplain. Friends from East Tennessee, Charlotte, Asheville, and Raleigh joined my friends from Hendersonville, North Carolina. Rob and Kelly Tison joined us. He also has ALS. Sue Humphries of the Jim "Catfish" Hunter (NC) Chapter of the ALS Association came. She is working on starting an ALS Clinic in Asheville.
  My daughters, Catherine and Emma, came to the party. I made a couple of "speeches" with my portable computer thanking my friends and then Miriam for her help and love for me the past two years. I projected my computer screen onto a large screen on the wall. The crowd was able to see what I was writing. Then Emma and Catherine did their own presentation to thank the people who had helped me.

 Garry Smith and Roger Bailey provided music from The Great American Songbook. They are in the back of the picture. In front are Catherine and her boyfriend Andrew and Emma and her boyfriend Ian dancing to music that was written at least thirty years before they were born.

 It was a great, fun party. From left to right in the picture are Andrew Hayes, Catherine Swift, Tom Swift, Emma Swift, and Ian Lee.

2 comments:

  1. What great idea and event! Looks like ya'll had a great time. The food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes strong faith to move to another country for 6 months without knowing the language. I commend you for doing God's work. Your courage and determination inspires me! Sorry I couldn't be at the party. Sue gave me the scoop; she said it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete