21 July 2012

The Worst and Best Things about Having ALS.

(This article first appeared in the Asheville, NC Citizen-Times newspaper and is used here by permission.)

The worst thing about having ALS is not being able to tell people, "I love you."
The best thing about having ALS is hearing so many people say they love me.

The worst thing about having ALS is not being able to walk.
The best thing about having ALS is people who take me where I want to go.

The worst thing about having ALS is leaving my daughters behind if I die.
The best thing about having ALS is knowing they will be okay.*

The worst thing about having ALS is not being able to walk and talk.
The best thing about having ALS is the technology that takes me where I want to go and communicate when I get there.

The worst thing about having ALS is the friends who have drifted away.
The best thing about having ALS is the friends who have stayed.

The worst thing about having ALS was believing God was absent and knew nothing of my helplessness, my inability to move, and my struggles to breathe.
The best thing about having ALS is realizing that God is with me and knows exactly what it is like to be helpless, to be unable to move, and to struggle to breathe.

The worst thing about having ALS is believing I may die.
The best thing about having ALS is believing that if I die, the battle will be over and a new day will dawn.

The worst thing about having ALS was believing I was all alone with the disease.
The best thing about having ALS is learning that the many others touched by the disease and I can support each other.

The worst thing about having ALS is believing that if I die, my life will be over.
The best thing about having ALS is believing that if I die, my life will continue in a better place.
__________
*About 10% of ALS cases are genetically inherited. These families can name several members who have died from ALS and anxiously await the diagnosis of one or more of their children. They cannot say, as I do, that their daughters "will be okay." 

1 comment:

  1. My mother was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) when she was 68 years old 2 years ago. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help her. The medical team did even less. Her decline was rapid and devastating. Her arms weakened first, then her hands and legs. Last year, a family friend told us about Ogbeifun Herbal formula and his successful ALS TREATMENT, we contacted him. and ordered his ALS Formula, i am happy to report the treatment effectively treated and reversed her Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), most of the symptoms stopped, she is able to walk and eat well, sleep well and exercise regularly., she is pretty active now and her attitude is extremely positive.i joyfully recommend you to dr ogbeifun because health is wealth this is a very bad experience with those living with ALS please do not hesitate to contact him ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp him via +2348102574680

    ReplyDelete